Monday, April 27, 2009

2. A barrier of the young mind

Allow me to start again with stating the facts..;

We are/were all young and a teenager at some point in time. As I believe that I lack the valuable experiences in life at this moment, I wish for a sympathetic/empathetic response or keeping such background in mind.

It's been a couple of years since I came across the thought of "immediate satisfaction and/or desire" blinding the latter situations which I'd have to inevitably face, sooner or later.
What concerns me are, as childish as it sounds, rather simple tasks such as procrastinating from school work, and distraction from available forms of entertainment consuming large quantities of precious time.

As I often self-proclaim as a pessimist and a lazy, passive student, I can honestly state that in the past ~4 years, I have not put in a "constant and decent" amount of effort in my academic exercises, at home. It has somewhat become a habit, and a seemingly normal fragment of time in every day. I suppose my mind has developed a tendency for procrastination and dismissal of workload despite being aware of its consequences.

Since childhood, I've always kept a phrase in mind - a Korean phrase which adults often told children, roughly translated as "You learn as you fall." Yes, it's no different to the English phrase, "You learn from your mistakes".
I'm probably being hypocritical, or too reliant on this phrase, so I believe the reason for my inactivity in my duties for schooling is that I have yet to learn from my mistakes.
Of course, not saying that it is the ultimate reason, however it appears to play a major role in shaping my attitude towards such responsibilities.
Which leads me back to the topic title above -- A barrier of the young mind -- as it has derived from the revision of my own past attitude or mindset. Though, one could possibly not expect the greatest thoughts from a mere developing mind still in its teens. While there exists other possible leads into this idea, I'd like to focus on the aspect of 'learning from your mistakes/experiences'.

Surely, almost all teenagers, young minds, adolescents, etc, concern on the "present" more so than the "past" or the "future", although these may linger in the mind rather insignificantly. I, unfortunately am also categorised as being in the teens, and it is unfortunate as I feel a hunger for knowledge and experience surely too great for my mind.
In other words, it sucks.
Returning back to concerning the "present", at this presence, I am here, on Blogspot, ranting on my thoughts instead of working on school works. Perhaps I consider this more important than my major works for the finals. Perhaps recording my thoughts have been speculated with more importance over other assigned tasks. Sort of like "I want it now, and I'm getting it now." mindset, which I estimate is breakable by the counteraction of "learning from mistakes" and thus being able to hold back immediate desires for the future good, as to obey the Law of equivalent trade.

Indeed, the purpose of my post here today was to attempt and answer my own question of "why can't I grasp the obvious fact of pro-active work for the greater reward later in life, and so to ditch my laziness and procrastinative attitude?"

..Damnit. >_>